Time is running down for the February 14 pitchers and catchers reporting date (Finally! Was this not the longest winter break EVER?). While we patiently wait for our Cubbies to once again take the field, here’s a short wish list from me:
Five things I would like to happen for the Cubs in 2011.
– As much as I love pitching and pitchers, the Cubs need to whittle down their massive prom court of pitchers into something a little more managable. A robust pitching staff still can’t win a vast amount of games, the support of the fielders and hitters is paramount to winning.
– The new Pod-Person Big Z never leaves. Who would’ve expected this just a few seasons ago? Best of luck to Z and his family.
– An above .500 season. Sure, even the slightest playoff bid would be fantastic, but I choose not to dream big only to have those dreams crushed. A winning season would do it for me.
– I’d like someone, anyone, to step up as the clubs’ go-to “power hitter”. Again, not expecting 40+ homeruns or anything that crazy. I would like to know that when Player X steps to the plate there’s a good chance for a solid base hit and rbi’s to happen. This is doable. We’re not the Pirates afterall. (Poor Pirates, I really feel for them.)
– Jeff Samardzija cultivates his facial hair into a classy Rollie Fingers style. Halfway there, buddy!